Is it just me or are other people struggling to remember a life before the Coronavirus? We’ve all knowingly become accustomed to Zoom calls in pyjama bottoms (with a smart-ish shirt if you’re lucky) - something that if you’d suggested a year ago would have felt completely alien! Words like furlough, pandemic & lockdown have become common phrase. And we’re still attempting to perfect our banana bread recipes… I’m embarrassingly still looking for tips if anyone has any to shut me up!
But what is rather lovely about being stuck at home is that we have a lot more time on our hands. Those blissful extra hours that never existed back when our days were filled with endless errands and never-ending to-do lists. Well, if you’re like me and love a bargain, what better way to spend it than browsing online auctions?
I’ve got some useful tips below for those of you who want them – comments always welcome!
- Browse online auctions thoroughly to find things with potential. You’ll tend to find old items that are in fashion will tend to go for higher prices… being ahead of the curve is crucial. If you can, take the time to find pieces from other periods with the anticipation of buying and holding on to them.
- Be prepared to upcycle. I’m not saying you need to be Annie Sloan (although she does have some great paintbrush tips!) but there’s a lot to be said for buying something that needs a little love. You just need to use your vision (it’s there, I promise) - you’ll be surprised how easy it can be. Plus, buying second hand is better for the environment as pieces have a far lower carbon footprint than items that are newly made. Win, win!
- Give yourself time. It can feel like there’s often a lot to sift through and it might feel overwhelming. Don’t rush; remind yourself what you’re looking for. One of the benefits of William George’s auctions is that they are timed, so you have longer to make up your mind.
- Refine your search. This is useful if you have a particular style in mind, for example ‘mid-century’, or a category such as ‘antique jewellery’. Our filter section allows you to be as specific or vague as you want - it’ll soon become your favourite tool for finding bargains online at auction.
- Finally, be thrifty! You really don’t need to spend a fortune to achieve a certain look. Whether you’re searching for something to jazz up your wardrobe or adding to an ambience for your abode, a savvy attitude will go a long way in helping you create your desired look. Plus, it can be more satisfying feeling than buying new!
Take a look at our latest auctions and happy shopping!